Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Rematerializing

Each day more of me is present in this place. Even though I'm not sure rematerializing is a word, it describes how I've been feeling since arriving home last week. Picture the transporter room on the old Star Trek when someone is having trouble beaming back from a far away planet. It is as though part of me is still out in Montana or Wyoming.

There is a lot to process from the ten days we spent traveling the West. It isn't just the time together or the distance we traveled or even the effort required to fit the family history pieces into place. We experienced a different culture in a foreign land. I am in awe of the people who have lived and worked their whole lives surrounded by a uniquely beautiful and unforgiving natural environment. I can better appreciate the independent spirit and drive that shaped my ancestors and kept them alive in harsh circumstances. They were stronger and more resilient than I could ever be.

No comments:

Post a Comment