First the nothing:
- The board of trustees, at least publicly, put their full support behind the administration and their policies without even talking to the current and former staff who have been the subject of questionable employment practices.
- Top management has reorganized the administrative staff for the umpteenth time, resulting in the appointment of an Employee Relations Specialist who has little or no power.
- No one on the board or in management has acknowledged the existence of this blog, the new library staff google group, or admitted any problems exist at the library.
Now the everything:
- The number of visits to this blog and the total page views are off the charts with a 1600% increase in the past month. More than 250 people have read what was written here about the library and more than 50 supportive comments have been made.
- The new google group, LibraryLib, now has 40 members and an open discussion on many topics including how to survive administrative leave, high salary costs in administration, the levy, unionization, and discontent over lack of action by the board of trustees.
- For the first time in recent memory, the library staff is starting to exchange information among themselves about what has been happening in secret. Many feel empowered by the support from each other and the community.
- To my knowledge, no one has been disappeared in the last month (a victory?).
Library staff, former staff and community members are invited to join the conversation here at LibraryLib. For the protection of all: Join this group with an email address used only for this group; do not use any identifying details when describing yourself, your branch or the library; do not access this forum at work; assume the administration has joined the group.