Monday, August 13, 2012

Pumpkin Patch

In May, my neighbor gave me two tiny pumpkin plants. I've always been fascinated with pumpkin plants, but have never grown one before. I planted them by my three blueberries at the edge of the back patio. Two and a half months later they are thriving - more than thriving. Gary says we will wake up some night and the vines will be in bed with us.

The most exciting part of this pumpkin experience - the huge pumpkins nestled in the shade under giant leaves. I placed the strawberry in the photo for scale.

One large pumpkin would be satisfying success. Five huge pumpkins have put me in awe of mother nature.

It isn't just the pumpkins. Every morning for weeks I've brought in bounty from the garden - raspberries, strawberries, marion berries, potatoes, lettuce, peas, tomatoes, beans, spinach, basil, parsley, thyme, rosemary, oregano, garlic and there is more to come. Here are the pickings from today.

Even though it may take work to plant/weed/water/tend, the results are worth every hour of effort. 

Thank you mother nature!

No comments:

Post a Comment