Monday, September 14, 2009

Suspicion

Mutual respect and trust have nearly disappeared from our society. They have been replaced by fear and suspicion. Whether it be divorcing couples who want to punish each other, insecure managers who alienate staff or unprincipled politicians who want to grab power, the problem is the same - we are caught up in an "Us vs. Them" mindset that destroys relationships, adds stress to the workplace, and threatens government.

I am just as guilty as the next guy. It is tempting to gossip and grouse when I feel helpless or hurt - sometimes I just get caught up in the perverse pleasure . . . and sometimes when a person I care for is suffering, I am overwhelmed by the injustice of the situation. For me, it is most difficult when I can appreciate the good intentions in everyone and would be distressed by taking sides. I want to clear the air of all past transgressions so everyone can see with new eyes and hear with new ears. 

Wouldn't it be refreshing if we could trust that there is goodness in all and learn to respect our differences. A tall order for a society that thrives on the wicked pleasure of reality TV and 24 hour "news." 

No comments:

Post a Comment